Google Pixel Car Crash Detection: Google has rolled out a new feature for India. The car crash detection feature found in Google Pixel phones helps you in an emergency. It detects the situation through location, motion sensors and surrounding sound, and helps you.
Apple and Google are at loggerheads when it comes to smartphone security. This year, both the big brands have launched their latest phone series. Apple launched the iPhone 15 series in September, while the Google Pixel 8 series hit the shelves in October. These phones have a great feature, which comes in handy to save your life. The feature is called ‘Car Crash Detection’. Apple introduced it in the iPhone 14 series in 2022. However, the first to bring it to the world is Google, which launched this feature in Pixel 4 in 2019.
Initially, Google rolled out the feature in select countries. Now it has also been released in Austria, Belgium, Portugal and Switzerland, including India. This security feature will be available only on Pixel 4a, Pixel 6a, Pixel 7, Pixel 7 Pro, Pixel 7a, Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro models in India. Google’s car crash detection feature supports 11 languages.
Detection of the car: This is how it will work
The car crash detection feature is yet to come to India. This feature checks the phone’s motion sensors, location and surrounding sound to check if the user’s car has crashed. It requires permission for location, physical activity and microphone. If your phone detects a crash, it immediately calls the emergency service on your behalf.
Keep this in mind
It’s called Android Emergency Location Service. It can also send details like what happened to you and your location. However, Google warned that not all phones are capable of detecting all types of crashes. If the mobile network is low or there is already a call going on, then it can be difficult to call the emergency service.
Turn on the car crash detection feature
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to turn on the crash detection feature on Pixel phones:
- Check that you have a SIM card in your phone, as the SIM card needs to be active for the car crash detection feature.
- To enable this, open the ‘Personal Safety’ app on your Pixel phone. Usually, you will find this app in the app drawer.
- “Tap on the” “Personal Safety” “option within the app.”
- Scroll down the list of features until you find ‘Car crash detection’. Tap on this option.
- Now you will get the option to ‘Set Up’ the car crash detection feature. Tap on this.
- Tap on ‘Allow while app is in use’ to share the location during setup. This allows the app to access your location during a potential crash event.
- Then tap ‘Allow’ to share the microphone and allow access to your physical activity.
- Your Pixel phone is now set up with a crash detection feature. This feature automatically calls the emergency number during a serious road accident. This will save your life in times of trouble.